Hello everyone! This is the blog week of announcements, around here it seems. First, on Tuesday I had a shop opening announcement, and today I am excited to bring you an announcement of a different kind. A couple of months ago, Tanith of Tanith Rowan Designs contacted me and said that she had been inspired by my “Vintage Vogue” recreations and was planning on executing one of her own. She then asked whether I would be interested in co-hosting an online event with her, to encourage others to take part in recreating vintage images of their own. Of course I jumped at the opportunity to join in hosting with her, so today, we are announcing the “My Vintage Cover” community event, which we would like to invite you all to take part in, by recreating iconic vintage fashion images!
So, how do you participate in My Vintage Cover, and what are the event details? Read on!
- The challenge runs from August 1- 31, 2017 and you are welcome to post your images on any day of the month. We are announcing the challenge now, so you can start choosing which images to recreate, and preparing any pieces you might need to have in order to complete your recreation.
- This is a non-competitive community event. We just want people to have fun, both in the challenge of recreating vintage images, and in sharing the finished images with others.
- The event will take place in a two places. If you have an Instagram account, you can take part there, but if you don’t have Instagram, you can participate on your blog. Use whichever platform you prefer. (I will personally be posting my recreations to both my Instagram account and here on my blog.)
- If you post your recreations on Instagram, use the hashtag, #myvintagecover which we have created for this event, so we can all see your images.
- If you are posting on your blog, feel free to let either Tanith or I know about it, so we can see your post and share it with others when we do a round up post.
- We will be posting a few “round-up” posts on our Instagram accounts or blogs depending on how many participants we have.
- Though we are calling it “My Vintage Cover,” you are welcome to recreate either a vintage magazine cover (such as Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar or McCall’s) or an editorial vintage fashion image. Images with distinctive poses, or styles that are iconic to a specific era are great options.
- Repost and share your inspiration image, or link to it, so we can all compare the recreations to the original images.
- Feel free to make your recreation as detailed as you would like. Even if you don’t have it 100% accurate, join in anyways with what you can. There are a lot of great vintage images out there which rely on iconic makeup and hair, distinctive poses, or unique camera angles, so even if you don’t have all the details correct, you can still participate.
- You are not limited to just one image. Recreate as many images as you would like to! (and have the time for!)
- Please feel free to repost this image any and everywhere you can. The more people who know about the challenge, the better!
- Most important of all: have fun! We are so excited to see what you come up with.
I personally haven’t started on my next recreation, (or even chosen an image yet) so I had better get cracking, as there are only two weeks until the challenge begins! 🙂 I am really excited about this challenge, (online challenges are so great at bringing the online community together) and I hope that you join in My Vintage Cover with a recreation of your own. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!