What’s In My Bag?
For the majority of history, women have not carried purses or handbags wherever they have gone. In fact it’s only been the last hundred years or so, that women have done so and yet, for many of us, we can’t imagine leaving the house without our purse. I’m always curious as to what different people consider to be the “essentials”. I personally don’t like carrying too much around with me, as it is too heavy and cumbersome, but if I don’t bring some things with me, I always end up needing them. (Like bandages. Always bandages. . .)
This little purse I bought last year in England is small, yet mighty. It doesn’t look like it would be able to hold much, but it is actually like Mary Poppins’ bag. 😉 So here is what’s in my bag.
- I find it hard to apply lipstick without a mirror as I always end up getting it crooked, so I like to carry around a neutral/tawny shade. I like it as it is light enough in colour to apply easily without being too obvious if I get it crooked, but it dresses up my look just a bit. 🙂
- In a dry climate (hello, Alberta!) lotion is an absolute must! I always just grab some random lotion samples from hotels whenever I stay at one.
- I got this cute little pill box at a vintage sale, and it is a pretty way to hold some painkillers.
- Nail clippers, because NOTHING is worse than getting a snagged nail when you don’t have clippers with you.
- I like to keep all these loose little items in a bag (and even better if it is a sparkly beaded fair trade bag), so they don’t get lost in the depths of my purse. Also, I switch purses with each outfit, and it is so much easier to just grab the bag and toss it into my new purse, rather than trying to rummage around and find each individual item.
- I got this lipstick case many years ago from my aunt and I love it. I don’t carry lipstick in it, but rather my lip balm, since I started wearing it long before I wore lipstick. 😉 Also, it makes finding my lip balm easier. Because again, Alberta is dry. And lip balm is a necessary part of life.
- A little compact mirror. Because apparently I need to see what I look like at all times. 😉
- A little notebook made out of a greeting card with my initial on it, and a pen. Because even though my phone is great, sometimes you just need to write things down.
- A cute little vintage mending kit. Yes, I have definitely used this before to save the day! And the scissors are invaluable.
- Not pictured, because I found it afterwards, is a bandage. Because I am prone to getting inexplicable cuts and wounds, and always seem to need one. . .
- Also not pictured, because it is ugly and broken, is my phone.
What essentials do you carry with you in your bag? Do you switch purses with each outfit, or do you have one purse that you always use? And have you ever been out and about and wished you had remembered to bring something with you?
March 7, 2017 @ 7:09 am
I’m always intrigued as to how people manage with those teeny tiny purses. I’m like Mary Poppins most of the time, it helps not just me but others too. Just the other day a lady complained of a headache, ta da – have some paracetamol! And another asked for Tampax – of course, there you go! Happy to lug it all around *just in case*…
March 7, 2017 @ 12:46 pm
It’s always so good to be prepared! There have been many times when I was glad that I was “lugging” everything around that day- and I’m sure everybody was glad that you were 🙂
March 7, 2017 @ 6:05 pm
I switch out my purses constantly! And only a handful of things are there on a regular basis. I love this idea though, and I did it as part of a friend’s project back in college. Maybe I’ll to it for my Disneyland purse, which has pretty much its own check list of necessary items!
March 8, 2017 @ 8:59 am
Oh yes, I’d love to see what you bring with you to Disney!
March 8, 2017 @ 11:45 am
I carry in my purse pretty much the same things. And., yes, when I’m in town, I’ll find that I’ve forgotten something. After reading your post, I put in hand sanitizer, facial tissue, lotion, nail tools (i. e. .clippers, not hammers). I cannot be without my little radio with headphones. Need a mini sewing kit., band aids, and mirror. For everyday use, I use a purse for months before I switch. I change purses when I dress up. Anyway, thanks for the reminders even though that wasn’t the intent. I also liked tip #5. 🙂
March 8, 2017 @ 8:51 pm
Glad to be of service! Any time 😉
And your comment about the hammer made me laugh! I can just imagine pulling a hammer out of your purse 🙂
March 13, 2017 @ 11:00 am
I feel like I know you so much better now. 😉
I always carry the same purse, and it’s definitely not as organized as yours…so I should probably go and remedy that. And yes, band-aids are essential. And I have a little Swiss army knife too – tweezers, knife, etc. – it comes in so handy. 🙂
March 13, 2017 @ 11:28 am
Oh yes, I feel like you know me so much better too. That was, for sure, a deep dark secret I was keeping from you! 😉
A Swiss army knife is such a great idea too! Always be prepared, right?
March 14, 2017 @ 8:35 am
Like the idea of carrying a little sewing kit.. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it before. I do always carry a measuring tape, so I can measure clothing when I’m out shopping. I change out my purses often, so I got myself one of those little purse organizers to make transferring all my stuff easier. Just have to whip it out of one purse and pop it into another.
March 14, 2017 @ 10:10 am
The sewing kit has been a lifesaver before- you never know when you might need to mend something “on the go” 😉 A tape measure is a great idea too- I had never thought of that before!
March 14, 2017 @ 12:18 pm
I love a sneaky peek into people’s lives! I think you travel pretty light! My bag is chocka block full of random, just in case items that I never actually need. Although when I use a cute little vintage bag, it is very difficult for me to streamline just for a day.
March 14, 2017 @ 2:59 pm
Those tiny little vintage bags are so bothersome aren’t they? I have some that don’t even fit my wallet inside! So inconvenient- but totally worth it anyways for a day, right? 🙂
March 26, 2017 @ 1:50 pm
I like this little peak into your bag. All very organised, mine is much less so!
March 27, 2017 @ 1:11 pm
Haha- I try to keep it organized, otherwise it drives me crazy when I’m looking for something and can’t find it!